I ran across an interesting error on a client's server this past week. Their nightly backup had begun crashing without any reported cause. The results of the last back-up simply said crashed.
The logs did not show any clear reason why this would be happening. Other than they had several instances of “Bad media” reported in some of their last actual back-up attempts.
Side note: Pay more attention to your back-ups people!! if you start seeing “Crashed” errors. Don't wait a month before asking someone for help!
We put new tapes in the drive and attempted the back-up job again. It would run the first section of the job until 5-10% then it would just stop. No errors.. Just stop..
I noticed in the windows logs that the server installed some updates the day after the last successful back-up. So, maybe there was an update that was causing the trouble. So, I went to CA’s website and downloaded all the updates for version 9 of Arcserve. This made no difference.
On each attempt at a back-up the process would just stop and put “crashed” in the results. I did notice one new thing. It turned out that the back-up actually stopped when the back-up sized passed the 500 meg mark. A little “google-ing ” later and it turns out that this MIGHT be caused be IE 7. So, I uninstalled IE 7 and rebooted the server. FIXED
Long story… slightly less long… If you are running Arcserve version 9.0 or 11.0. It is not completely compatible with Internet Explorer 7. Uninstall 7 and save yourself some trouble or spend lots of money and buy the latest version of ARCSERVE.
Oh.. and (just a tip) don’t try to use the same back-up tapes for 3 years. Might be a little troublesome.
© 2007 – 2009, Robert Owen. All rights reserved.